Monday, December 23, 2002

So Yahoo sucks, because Yahoo Photos won't allow remote linking anymore. And I haven't updated in a long time, partly because I've been busy, partly because when I am at home I'm lazy, or tired, or sleeping, before I have to be out again. And the two previous posts are a waste because they're mostly pictures and you can't see them, and it's a real pain to go through all that trouble with actually writing code and coming up with captions and alts and have no one see the final product. And yes everyone is bugging me about getting a PictureTrail account but as I've said, I'm lazy and it's the holidays. Who's in the mood for such things?

There's a lot of things I was supposed to talk about but didn't get the opportunity to, and a lot of them may just end up forgotten, but I have to mention some, like Quark's mom's Christmas party for the Belo Medical Group, which was a blast and probably the best company Christmas party I'll ever get to go to. Held at RCBC, not only were employees and guests and friends treated to a terrific dinner, there was a show where each branch would stage a production, and there were even guest celebrities who performed, like Aubrey Miles (who sat behind Chris and laughs kinda funny). Some of us got to judge the productions (all dance numbers) and it was really impressive, especially considering they're not professionals. Lavish costumes and some ingenious choreography, the winning group even used the song Diva Plavalaguna sang in The Fifth Element. There was also a lot of prizes raffled off. Host Ogie had a crush on Chris and I was called Ramon De Vegra.

Hmm... there are more, like the one-year anniversary of The Theft, and the C3 Con held just last weekend, but I'm tired again and will save those stories for later.

--

Margie has a blog pala!

--

Things you never think about: please read this when you have the time. It's not long. Mark Leyner used the idea of everything you see being the past in the introduction to one of his books, I think it was The Tetherballs of Bougainville. But Kadrey uses it to charming effect.

--

I wanted to get this out of my "To Do" list so I submitted some suggestions to The Criterion Collection:

- the films of Wong Kar-Wai, especially the trio of Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, and Happy Together. The current DVD editions of these films are bare, and not particularly nice prints, at that. If they could give it the lavish treatment they did In the Mood for Love, that would be terrific.

- Hal Hartley's Amateur, which isn't even out yet on DVD, as far as I know. Perhaps his other films as well, such as Simple Men, Flirt, and Henry Fool. Flirt especially.

- Kinji Fukasaku's Battle Royale

- the films of David Lynch

- Tony Bui's Three Seasons

- Wayne Wang's Smoke and Blue in the Face (I understand these are to be released in March but knowing Miramax, there won't be any extras to look forward to)

- Mark Waters's The House of Yes

- Noah Baumbach's Kicking & Screaming

- Lino Brocka's Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag, as well as his other films such as Orapronobis

- Mike De Leon's Batch 81

- Mathieu Kassovitz's La Haine

- Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Delicatessen

- Anand Tucker's St. Ex

- David Fincher's The Game

- Takeshi Kitano's Hana-bi (Fireworks)

- Hideo Nakata's Ring

These are just off the top of my head. When I think of more I'll send them in.

--



"Crocodile Hunter The Same Way In Bed"


Thank God there are some things that are still reliable. Like The Onion. How can you not love a newspaper with headlines like "Killer Kinda Cute" and an opinion article entitled "I Didn't Mean To Lead You On By Fucking You"?

--

Oh, and please read this. It's short. Fucked-up, but beatiful.

No comments: