Monday, January 10, 2005

The Onion AV Club have put up their Will Eisner interview in his memory, and while you're at it, check out their quasi-year-in-review while you're there.

O: Speaking from a purely idealistic plane, where would you like to see the industry go from here?

WE: I would like to see more sophisticated material. I would like to see the comics industry reach a point where good comics material is reviewed in The New York Times and treated at a level equivalent to oil paintings and good literature. I'm hoping we'll see more of that. I believe it will happen, and I'm hoping to be around when it does.


You can find Will Eisner's biography here.

In other depressing news, the film adaptation of V For Vendetta is progressing, with Joel Silver as producer. The good news is, the Wachowski Bros. aren't directing it. The bad news is, they wrote the script, and it's being helmed by a first-timer, their AD James McTigue. Natalie Portman has been cast as Evey, which, for some reason I can't pinpoint exactly, doesn't sit well with me. I mean, there's already a teaser image. Notice how it implies that it's all a creation of the Wachowskis?

Vanity Fair's last Star Wars feature for a while has a gatefold cover that made me smile, even if Lucas has dashed his franchise's brains on a jagged rock like a baby seal.

Oh yes, Kate Bosworth and Kevin Spacey join Brandon Routh in Bryan Singer's Superman as Lois Lane and Lex Luthor. You can figure out who's who.

I was disappointed with Kung-fu Hustle. I was so looking forward to it. I wanted lots more: more Stephen Chow, more story, more development, more humor. The fight scenes were terrific, but at what expense? There were no characters to love. And he's becoming lazy by relying too much on special effects. Another thing is the tone seemed inconsistent. I thought he'd try to make his most accessible film yet, but there's death galore, characters coming in and out, and some scenes would be genuinely scary and violent, but then leavened with an out-of-place joke or cartoony CG. Excellent casting, though.

Ocean's 12 could never've lived up to its expectations (especially with a different writer) but it was still supremely satisfying, and was a con instead of a heist. Also, as a cinephile I loved all the nouvelle vague influences. The worst thing I can say is, as expected, it was unable to consistently maintain the energy/fun level throughout every solitary second of its running time like its predecessor. Excellent turns by Vincent Cassel and Catherine Zeta-Jones, too. Even the cameos are cute, and there's a specific moment that's almost a beyond-the-4th-wall nod to the very first, Rat Pack Ocean's where even the filmmakers just let everyone in on the joke that they're just having a good time.

No comments: