Saturday, May 10, 2003



People recently stumbled onto this blog while looking for:

“she broke her ankle” chinese girl (just unique enough to have me wondering)
little red headed girl pictures (I really hope this has something to do with my recent peanuts post, otherwise… brr..)
narciso website pictures
voltron comics drawings
pictures of couples fighting fairly (this has me curious)
goldie poblador (twice!)
and, lo and behold,
mindfuel

Sometimes what I do now is actually go on a search engine and look for these things myself, and try to figure out why this blog pops up as a result, and what other websites came up as results.

--

It’s been a while since I’ve last blogged, and there are a couple of things I’ve yet to talk about. But right now, I just want to say that I finally got through this thing that took me MUCH longer than I thought it would, and am glad that the weight is off my shoulders. It’s the longest thing I’ve written since my thesis. Since Wednesday night I’ve only been sleeping 4-5 hours a day. Which doesn’t sound so bad if you’re used to it, but I’m no longer used to it. Since graduating my body’s become used to sleeping however long I want. There were periods in the past few days where I experienced hot flashes, dizziness, and just the exhaustion of staying up late and forcing yourself not to sleep until you accomplish certain things. I’d punish myself by not sleeping, and then a few hours later it’s like you can feel every muscle creaking. I ate chocolate, drank lots of mango juice and iced tea, a couple of pills of vitamin C, and pistachios.

If I told you what I was working on you’d feel what I just described sounds ridiculous. And I wouldn’t blame you. It sounds ridiculous to me. And, I’m sure, to the handful of you who DO know what I’m talking about. Suffice to say that the other night I was listing down various sexual positions and fantasies, and it occurred to me that what I was doing I could actually call work.

I don’t know why it took longer than I thought. I ran into some unexpected roadblocks, I guess. And took a hell of a time working some of them out. Sometimes I’d be stuck for an hour or two on the tiniest, dumbest thing, that I presume only I would ever care about, sometimes for something that I KNOW will be changed anyway. But I have to do it, because without it being behind me I can’t move forward. I wish I could explain this better, but right now I’m just glad I’ll finally be able to sleep for a day or two. Then on to the fine tuning.

--

Got some cool comics the other Saturday at CCHQ, thanks to Free Comic Book Day. I think they’re the only store in the country that seriously participated in the event. Props to them, they’re the best comics store in the history of the country. Shop there sometime.

--

Even though Richard Kadrey’s Nanotales have become monthly instead of weekly, he’s no less brilliant. The newest one is here, and it’s one of the best yet. I promise, read just a few sentences, and then you won’t be able to stop. One of the more light-hearted, yet no less thought-provoking, pieces.

--

Oh, and, uh, Happy Mother’s Day, you lot. Chiko, if you’re reading, happy birthday! :)

No comments: